At The Leigh UTC we offer a Technical Baccalaureate pathway on which students study either Engineering or Computer Science BTECs, Core or A level Maths and complete the Extended Project qualification.
We are also really excited about being in the Application for Candidacy stage to be accredited as an IB World School. When this is achieved we will be able to offer the International Baccalaureate Career-related Programme (IBCP).
The IBCP is one of four integrated programmes offered by the International Baccalaureate Organisation delivered by over 4,500 schools worldwide. The IBCP is a flexible Post 16 programme which recognises the need to combine academic, vocational and practical learning skills.
As part of the IBCP students must follow a career related course (BTEC), between 2 and 4 IB Diploma Courses and the Core Programme. When successful we will offer a range of STEM based subjects.
The Core Programme is fundamental to the development of students academically, personally and socially enhancing the skills they will need in the future and comprises of the following components:
- Reflective Project – this focuses on an ethical issue linked to the careers-related element of the programme. This is the only element of the core programme that is assessed.
- Personal and Professional Skills Development – for example, conducting research, referencing, presentation skills
- Service Learning – a community based project
- Language development involving the acquisition of language and cultural awareness.
Either option will give you real options at the end of the 2 year course. Students who have completed the Tech Bacc, taken advantage of our many opportunities and worked with our many business partners have gone on to study at University, been accepted on Higher Apprenticeships or started work in an area they are passionate about.
The UTC student will also experience the following:
- Work Experience
- Professional Qualifications
- Research and Development
- Independent Study